Obviously I didn’t get around to writing the Week 12 Power Rankings – I think I was still too upset about Boise State’s loss to TCU but we’re back this week! Boise State took care of Wyoming to all clinch second place in the conference and other than that it was a relatively uneventful week for the conference.
1. #18 TCU 9-2 (6-0) – The Horned Frogs were off last week – likely basking in their MWC Championship glory after defeating Colorado State 34-10 and clinching the conference title. Congrats Frogs. This week: vs UNLV 2:30 PM ET – Versus
2. #7 Boise State 10-1 (5-1) – Kellen Moore had a terrible start against Wyoming throwing a pick-6 on the Broncos’ first drive of the game. He made up for it by connecting with Matt Miller on a 46 yard Hail Mary to give the Broncos a 13-6 lead at halftime and they never looked back. This week: vs New Mexico 6:00 PM ET – The Mtn.
3. Wyoming 7-4 (4-2) – Quarterback Brett Smith had a sub-par game on Saturday thanks to the seemingly revitalized Bronco defense. Smith only threw for 78 yards, 1 TD, 1 Int and rushing for another 37 yards in the loss. This week: @ Colorado State 2:00 PM ET – The Mtn.
4. San Diego State 7-4 (4-3) – As Ronnie Hillman goes, so do the Aztecs. Hillman carried 32 times for 193 yards and 2 touchdowns leading the Aztecs to a 31-14 win over the lowly Rebels last Saturday. This week: vs Fresno State 8:00 PM ET – CBS Sports Network
5. Air Force 7-5 (3-4) – Quarterback Tim Jefferson and wide receiver Zack Kauth connected on touchdown passes of 33, 40 and 50 yards to beat Colorado State 45-21 and become bowl eligible. This week: None, season finished.
6. Colorado State 3-8 (1-5) – The Rams rank 95th in scoring defense (32.1 ppg) and 102nd in scoring offense (21.6 ppg) – not a good recipe for success. This week: vs Wyoming 2:00 PM ET – The Mtn.
7. New Mexico 1-10 (1-5) – An even worse recipe for success is ranking 119th in scoring defense 41.4 ppg) and 120th in scoring offense (13.1 ppg) – we’ll see what kind of miracles Bob Davie can work in Albuquerque the next few years. This week: @ #7 Boise State 6:00 PM ET – The Mtn.
8. UNLV 2-9 (1-5) – The Rebels played a good first half against San Diego State taking a 14-7 lead to halftime but just like the Boise State game, they got blown out in the second half. To take the “next step0″, Bobby Hauck and the Rebels need to start playing complete games. This week: @ #18 TCU 2:00 PM ET – The Mtn.
How would you rank the Mountain West teams?