Despite three teams having a bye last weekend, the conference did little to help their national perception for the second week in a row.
Photo via zimbio.com
1. #5 Boise State 4-0 (0-0) – Kellen Moore was unusually inaccurate but the running game finally got going – Doug Martin carried 21 times for 126 yards and 2 TDs. The defense played their best game of the season holding the Wolf Pack to 182 yards of offense. This week: Friday night @ Fresno State – 9:00 PM ET – ESPN
2. San Diego State 3-1 (0-0) – Rocky Long and the Aztecs had the week off to figure out what went wrong against Michigan and to get ready for their first conference game of the season. This week: vs TCU 10:30 PM ET – CBS Sports Network
3. TCU 3-2 (1-0) – After another disappointing loss, it’s pretty clear this TCU team (defense) isn’t quite the same caliber as previous teams. They responded well after the loss to Baylor – we’ll see how they bounce back this week. This week: @ San Diego State 10:30 PM ET – CBS Sports Network
4. Air Force 3-1 (0-1) – The Falcons survived to beat Navy 35-34 in overtime after blowing an 18 point fourth quarter lead. I nearly put them at #3 but couldn’t because of the head-to-head result with TCU earlier this year. This week: @ Notre Dame 3:30 PM ET – NBC
5. Wyoming 3-1 (0-0) – The Pokes still need four wins to become bowl eligible and only have 4-5 possible wins left on the schedule. We’ll see if last week’s bye helps them against the Aggies on Saturday. This week: @ Utah State 8:00 PM ET – ESPN 3
6. Colorado State 3-2 (1-0) – Somehow the Rams managed to lose 38-31 to San Jose State – a team that went 3-22 the last two seasons. Rams fans should be happy the Rebels and Lobos are in the conference and equally, if not more, terrible. This week: Bye
7. UNLV 1-3 (0-0) – Hopefully Bobby Hauck used the bye week to work on anything and everything – the Rebels are ranked 93rd or worse in scoring offense (102), total offense (110), scoring defense (118) and total defense (93rd). This week: @ Nevada 4:05 PM ET – ESPN 3
8. New Mexico 0-5 (0-0) – I thought the Lobos would rally around Interim Head Coach George Barlow to beat their rivals but instead they lost by two touchdowns. The good news this week is that they can’t lose and Locksley has already been fired! This week: Bye
How would you rank the Mountain West teams?